Birthday Cards for the Febuary Babies

Whoa, been awhile since I last updated this blog because my laptop isn't in the best condition lately. It was not able to start and I felt so handicapped having been so attached to it. But now, it's okay so yay, can start again!

Without the laptop, I cannot use the internet and I have been busy doing the birthday cards. I only have one notebook order, which I will feature in my next post, plus bookmarks as well. Yes, bookmarks, a brand new item which I will also feature. For the first time, I have to do quite a large quantity and for once, I actually felt the tiredness from doing it..haha. Perhaps, for such orders, I guess I should try to streamline the design process such as making it easier to replicate.

So here are my card designs for the Feb 'babies' :)

I made a pleated flower using washi tape. At first, I thought of doing a simple yet nice design but then when it looked rather plain,  I added some crystal embellishment and hey, presto!



Smile! I cut out the picture of the camera from a patterned paper of which the design is by Amy Tangerine. I would say that this is an example of a simple yet effective design because the smile sticker goes well with the camera motif. The pink ticket border is from a giveaway which I won last year.


I used another interesting design using washi tape. This time, I made a pleated border. The other design element consists of the cloud chipboard which I then smeared on some distress glitter. You can't really see it and also I added some little stars punched out from a border punch.

Yet another 'smile' and camera motifs, this time with a Polaroid chip board a camera washi tape. Other embellishments include a big blue button and twine in cappuccino.

I call this the 'anything goes' design..haha. The butterfly was a last minute addition from a previous project because I can't seem to find a suitable place for it. Until now. The 3 layered background give the card some added dimension as well.

Yet another pleated flower. The yellow brad is from a pack of brads from Daiso, the flower chipboard is from Echo Park and the arrow chipboard is from Pink Paislee which actually cost $9.90 in a pack (yikes) but I managed to get it at 40% off (phew..)

Happy Day. The Happy Day chipboard is from Echo Park and the car wood veneer is from Studio Calico. I also used a cloud chipboard which I have sprayed on with blue Hydranga mist from Maya Road. I like how I managed to colour co-ordinate the embellishments.

I'm still trying to figure out what is my design style but somehow along the line, I know that I don't like using expensive embellishments and I used colour misting, DIY embellishments such as the pleated washi tape flowers and border. For these cards, at first I tried to experiment using simple yet effective designs but along the way, I think too simple can also be boring. Sometimes you need a bit of 'zing' to make it more interesting but without piling on a lot of embellies. Just a few selected embellies that co-ordinate well together can help to beautify the card design.

If there are any embellishments that you see here, most of them are either bought at way below retail price or I got them for free during giveaways or when the people I bought from are pretty generous. That or they have too much stuffs on hand as well.

'till the next post!


Comments