June's Handmade Birthday Cards - Design Explanations

Early this week, I actually completed my monthly project of making birthday cards for my workplace. It was quite a challenge for me because I erm..had not much ideas in my memory bank. It happens at times and that is why I need to constantly learn new techniques to update myself and make my cards look interesting because if you ask me, my most basic technique involve pasting stickers strategically..ha!

Actually, come to think of it, I may have ideas but it's like sometimes when you have too many ideas, it can be pretty hard trying to extract them like when you're studying so much and then your mind goes totally blank when you're facing the papers. Tell me about it. That's why I'm not a fan of studying theoretical stuffs. I basically pick up stuffs by learning from video tutorials (thank you YOUTUBE!).

Ok, shall not waste any time because seriously it's 3.51am in the morning as I'm typing this out. These are my June  birthday cards!



I started off making this batch of cards using plenty of new materials. Erm, what's new..judging from my monthly affair spending money on crafts. While I try my best to keep my expenses in check, I can't help it if there's good offers or hard to get stuffs, online especially, that I can get to prettify my paper products. One way of justifying my expenses, which can be up to $80 plus is that I can recuperate back my expenses through my monthly orders. Not like shoes or clothes. But I can understand why people spend on them too because shopping is a hobby too, right? =) I dunno, I'm not much of a shopper.

The new materials used include some new washi tapes. Look at the cute washi tape with the film strip. The birds on a wire image is actually cut from a 12 X 12 sheet which was the last piece and I'm happy with my purchase. The material is a transparency and I forgot the official name of it.

Oh, I also get to use some die cut pieces from get this..my own die cut machine! Yay! Oh, I was supposed to do a post on it. I shall do it another time. I'm still aiming for the Big Shot but it's not like a must judging from how ex the die cuts are. I'll stick with my revo machine for now.

I have also started to use paper flowers but not like in a bunch of something because I don't have many pieces. The ones I have are not bought by me but given to me through giveaways last year.

One of the things I learn recently is to not be too pressurized into making them. Basically, have fun experimenting. You'll never know what you can come up with.







I like to incorporate generic stamped images into my cards such as the stamped banners. I also try to incorporate things that I don't usually use like a string of pearl. Pre-made die cut pieces are my favourites along side stickers. Oh, and wood veneers like the camera wood veneer.






These cards are more neutral unlike my earlier cards where I use mainly bright colours. To achieve this, I stick to colours such as black, blue and brown. Of course I will at times add a pop of colour. I managed to get a chevron washi tape. See left picture. I used it as a border against the black background. The die cut round piece with some wordings on it on the right picture is actually from the Kaiser Craft 6 X 6 paper pad. It costs a bit more (although I bought this particular pack at less than $10.00) but it's worth it because they contain die cut pieces which you can pop out from the pages and use. I believe if you were to spend your moolah on a 6 X 6 paperpad, use it on Kaiser Craft.




Okay, two more cards to go! Trivia, I made this card at 5.30am in the morning simultaneously. Sometimes I'm pressed for time and this is when I will actually make 2 cards at the same time. I cannot go beyond 2 because my creativity will be spread too thin although I can make 3 notebooks at the same time. I find notebooks are easier to co-ordinate than cards. I take an average time of 20 to 45 minutes although most times it's at 45 minutes because I can be quite fussy and unsatisfied if it's done in too short a time. But at desperate times, I can produce 2 cards within 45 minutes. But give and take, at most it's 1 hour because I will scrutinize them and see what else I can do to improve on the design.


I  know my cards aren't like your usual generic handmade cards. Sometimes I don't know if they're even qualified as cards..haha. What do you think? But everyone has different style. While I like to make them, I don't love certain techniques that are too hard because it takes the fun out of making them. They can even look nicer with these techniques but executing them can be quite a pain for me.

Currently, I'm open to making a card using embossing powders though but knowing me, I might make a mess. And because I don't have a dedicated table for card making, or even space for crafting for that matter, I'm not sure if this is viable. But then again, I will have to buy a heat setting tool or a hair dryer. Again, see how my budget is like.

Like what you see and you would like a custom made card for an upcoming occasion? You can go to my order page clicking here or PM me your order via my facebook page. Currently, if you go to my fb page, you can see an ongoing GSS promotion valid until 12th of June.

Thanks for dropping by and supporting me! Do share around my facebook page or my blog address. It will do wonders for me =)


Comments