Card Tutorial: Vintage Dress Form


It's International Women's Day and here I am showcasing a card I've made using a vintage dress form with a pretty pattern on it that calls for a shabby chic look. Below I will explain the tutorial on how to make this card, which of course you can improvise on, using the various techniques used.



note: please click on the pictures for a larger view

1. Line the 4 X 6 inches card with a patterned paper before layering on top of it another three smaller sizes patterned papers in various sizes and tearing the edges.

2. I used the top part of this ornate frame to add some interest to the layering.

3. For texture, I distressed the edges of the papers  with a pen knife carefully before I glue them down.

4. Once I've glued them down, by being careful not to go over the edge, I further distress the edges by folding the edges inwards and tearing some parts of it.

5. Complete look of the background patterned papers.

6. To tone down the background, I used white paint and rub some away to make the pattern see-through





7. I used the cut out of the vintage dress form, an ornate frame and a flower chipboard as my choice of embellishments for layering. Layer down the chipboard first, followed by the frame in the background and the dress form on top of the chipboard. Use foam dots to secure the unglued parts.

8. I dot multi-medium matte gel, which is a type of glue, that will help to stick the sugar crystals better. The dots in the picture indicate the flow of where my placement of sugar crystals will be. Alternatively, use that same flow and apply glitter instead, where it's less messy. As I wanted more intensity, I used the sugar crystals from Prima Marketing.

9. The result of adding the sugar crystals.

10. I covered the main embellishments and misted open parts of the background in the colour Vintage Pink from Tattered Angels. As this colour is quite opaque, you can choose not to cover and just spray on it directly and dab the excess away.

11. I added a few dots of liquid pearl in Bisque at the top, and the two sides for some interest.

12. To highlight the dress, I added gold stickles on the edge. To add some light shimmer to the dress form, I've also brushed on it some distress rock candy. Both products are from Ranger. At this point, I've added other embellishments which include a crystal swirl, some resins to follow the flow of the swirl and punched out some butterflies decorated with small acrylic pearls. I've also added a line of washi tape with a script pattern close to the top edge.


13. Distress the edges of the card with distress ink in pumice stone.

14. To finalize the card, I added some ink splatters, colourize the bottom half of the chipboard and dress form with watered down metallic paint to create a shadow and this would be the final look!

Close up of the Card
You can purchase this card in the shop. For custom  orders, simply send me your order queries via the contact form at the side bar.

Thanks for dropping by!

Comments