Customised Handmade Tri Fold Card "Frames & Butterflies"



It's been awhile since I've last made a tri-fold card, so much so, I stared at the patterned paper that I've already cut into half thinking how did I measure the last time. I used to do it with such ease that I didn't need to refer to the template online. 

But oh well. I needed a refresher course then. What I like about making tri-fold cards is that it's so pretty and layered, which isn't your typical card. Of course, there are so many types of cards now too in various cuts and sizes. There are those that are challenging to make and some others, which is so easy peasy, by using a die and you just run through the die cut machine, and voila! A uniquely designed template. I actually bought one such die. Perhaps I'll experiment with it one day. For now, I'll discuss more about the design concept behind this tri-fold card.


As it has been awhile, I got stumped quite a bit on how to design the cover, which to me, is the most important part. Another versatile thing I like about tri-fold is how I can make the cover 3D looking. I had another card that I needed to put on some finishing touches, including a cover for it. More on  it later. So, I had to make the cover in a relatively short time, but with some details and interest.

Hence, I layered a vintage journal card over the cover, cut out some frames from a Webster's Pages patterned papers (I've got this thing for frames) and instead of my usual, one frame, I had two instead, to fill up the journal card. Then, I've always wanted to use the Bo Bunny butterfly chipboard but realised that I didn't want the card to have the thickness of the chipboard because it made the card imbalanced. So I removed it and to make the cover more 3D looking, I adhered the butterfly chipboard overhanging at the side.

I then decorated the surrounding part, leaving some blank space at the corner to stick on the initials.

And oh my gosh, I didn't realize how tricky foam letters are. They're so eurgh..difficult to manipulate to make it straight looking. For sure, I won't use them in the future.

Anyway, overall I liked how the whole card looked and I even managed to include photos of the family inside to fit into some of the panels. You can see one of the photos peeping out from the corner.



The tri-fold card when it lays flat
If you like this post, be sure to share it around. 

For custom orders, feel free to send me your order queries from the right side bar.

Thanks for dropping by!

Comments